26 May 2011

T-shirt reconstruction



Ever since I got my sewing machine I've been cutting up all kinds of t-shirts. I can fix shirts that are too big or fix something that isn't quite right.

Today I'm taking an old long sleeve and turning it into something frilly and girly. I love this shirt because it's comfortable and it fits well. Unfortunately, I got some bleach on the sleeve. Never good, especially with black.


I found a couple of cute t-shirt tutorials online but my favorite was from Ruffles and Stuff. She has some really cute ideas over there. The first step of this process was simple. Fold the shirt in half and cut off the sleeves to a desired length. The shirt is folded to make sure that the sleeves are cut evenly.



The next step is to take out the stitching on the sleeves; now there are two long pieces of fabric. Lay out the pieces and cut each one into two 4" strips. Next, cut off a 1" section off those strips. There should now be four 3" strips and four 1" strips.

Sew the one end of one of the 3" strips to the end of another, then repeat with the other two strips. You should now have two long 3" strips.
Repeat this process with two of the 1" strips, resulting in one long strip.

Sorry I didn't take a picture, I hope this isn't too confusing.
The next step is to gather those two 3" into ruffles. I love making ruffles, I can't help it. It's so fun!


Now those ruffles have to be the same length as the front of the shirt. Place them down the middle and how you'd like them, I made sure the last of the bleach stain was covered by a ruffle fold. Then lay that long 1" piece down the middle on top of the ruffles.


Hey, it's starting to look like something! Go ahead and sew those pieces on with a zig zag stitch along the edges of the middle strip.
Lastly, let's add some buttons! Those are easy, place them where you'd like them to go and tape them down.


Sew on the buttons, hem the sleeves and presto! Ruffle shirt!


xoxo
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment