2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. ground ginger*
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tbs. water
1/4 c. molasses**
2 tbs. sugar
*I added an extra tsp. of freshly grated ginger root because, like I said, I love ginger.
**This one I didn't have, so I used brown sugar. 3/4 cup (firmly packed) for every cup of molasses.
Preheat oven 350F and bake 8-10 minutes
These are the ingredients I used.
Also, aside from my kitchen obviously being last renovated over 30 years ago, the lighting actually makes it look like I took the pictures in the 1970s.
- Sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and 1 cup of sugar.
- Beat in egg, water, and molasses.
- Gradually stir in dry mix.
- Shape into balls and roll in 2 tbs. sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
I could have eaten them like this. This dough was amazing to roll, by the way. It wasn't too sticky or messy.
Fresh out of the oven!
Ta-da! They are absolutely delicious. I actually feel that they could have used a little more bite, so maybe next time I'll throw in some candied ginger.